Thursday, June 16, 2011

Lot Bites Report

The Phish show is about to start. You have the munchies. You're walking around the lot. What's that smell? A h3ddy grilled cheese? Macaroni and Cheese? Chicken Bacon Ranch? Veggie Burrito?

I'm happy to report at all of those items were spotted on tour this summer. Of course you'll find your average $1 bread and cheese variety, but I also did find an amazing garlic thyme grilled cheese in Bethel. Also in Bethel, I enjoyed some garlic parmesan fries. The folks making both the grilled cheese and fries let me know they would be at all of leg 1 and always travel together, so if you hear about the grilled cheese or the fries and you're looking for the other, you can find one right next to the other.

After scores of lots of in search of my favorite veggie burrito, I think I finally found my go to. I'm picky because I don't always like the beans they use, but these featured whole black beans, cheese, tomato sauce, garlic, and fresh spinach. So good! The guy who makes them looks like Page, which is how I've spotted them a few times, but sometimes it's just his wife- in that case, they're the only people using fresh spinach in their veggie burrito, so that's how I spotted them without Page, er, the dude.


Last but definitely not least, I have found the ultimate lot eat: Billy's Pulled Pork Sandwich. Perfectly sauced and tender pulled pork with cole slaw on a doughy bun. The cole slaw adds a nice crunch and the creaminess cuts through the spicy bbq sauce in just the right way. I'm hoping to get an interview with him to find out more and let you know where he's going to be on tour.

As always, be familiar with which venues allow vending and which don't. Several people got busted at Merriweather, and the cops were out for them. If you want to sell your own eats, make sure you know what the deal is. It's not worth getting in trouble over.

Happy lot adventures! Maybe you'll get lucky and see Mike Gordon romping around a golf cart, like I did. He even wished me a happy birthday!

1 comment: